History

  • The school started in the 1920’s, operating out of a social club on Belleville Avenue in New Bedford, Massachusetts
  • In the 1970’s, it moved to the Immaculate Conception School on Earl Street, New Bedford, Massachusetts
  • In 1979, Portuguese United for Education was incorporated and registered with the state of Massachusetts
  • The Escola Oficial Portuguesa Casa da Saudade was founded in 1981 at the Sister Aurora Avelar Community Center on Crapo St. Location of the only publically funded Portuguese library.
  • In 1982, PUE moved to Coggeshall Street, New Bedford, Massachusetts
  • In 2015 PUE and Casa da Saudade schools merged.  Classes were held at both campuses.
  • In 2016, the school moved to the DeMello International Center, and changed its name to Discovery Language Academy